Thursday, August 30, 2007

What will tomorrow hold?

So this afternoon mum told me that she was going to visit some premature babies that she has been helping with, I asked if I could go along, not thinkings that (1) I would actually help and (2) that we would be there for longer then 1 hour..I was proved wrong in both areas. :)

So we went out as far as we could with the truck
The trail we took....

Then we walked, got lost, went back, tried again and found the right path! We go into the tiny house and proceed to the very back very dark and very HOT room. Like, we were under a mosquito net with 1 window in the room and it was shut to keep the babies warm! GOSH it was hot. Like while mum was doing her work she had sweat hanging from her lip and nose...and dripping...constantly! lol Anyways so mum is checking their temperatures and hearts and stuff and all of a sudden she gets a frown on her face. I put the camera away and try and keep the little girls quiet.
Mum checking the little girl

She looks up and says "This girls temperature is too low, we need to go to the hospital." Apparently the girls temperature was at 38.8 (dangerously high for a little one- in Canada they would not have been released from the NICU so quickly). The mother quickly packed the bags and within 10 minutes we were out the door.

The thing I found most interesting is how valuable a human life is. As we were coming to the house mum and I were laughing and constantly taking pictures, going back there was none of that. We brought both twins and walks briskly the kilometre to the truck. Mum drives, I hold the little boy, the mother holds the sick girl and Ingrid (the 3 year old daughter) sits in between. Mum made the 25 minute trip in 15 easily!

Once we got to the hospital we rushed up 2 flights of stairs (but 4 sets of stairs...hmmm) to the paediatric ward where mum insisted that they give the girl oxygen. Even I could tell that her colour was gone when compared with her brother.

I didn't have a whole lot more to do in the next 3 hours. Mum rushed around trying to find meds and paying for stuff and the mom stayed with the girl and the oxygen. And I, I got to have the fun! :D hehe I occupied 3 year old Ingrid and the little boy twin for 3 hours. Well the twin wasn't hard, he just slept and went wherever I went. But Ingrid and I had fun, we walked around and played with cut off skinks tails and looked out windows...and eventually walked over to the centre to hang out. Funny, by that time she was talking to "tauntie" a lot, but as soon as another person came into sight...whoop, quiet again! haha she was so cute and we had a lot of fun.

In the house she was very surprised by my waterbed and refused to get on it saying that the water was "on" the bed instead of "in" it.

Pray for this family, although the little girl is Ok now, tomorrow may bring a whole new set of challenges. Life isn't easy out here...especially for little ones.

2 comments:

Lisa Ens said...

Aw, she's so cute!!! I'm glad the little one's doing OK.

Anonymous said...

Bethany, Thanks so much for your help! Thanks too for sharing your perspective I enjoyed reading it so much! Blessings!