Saturday, May 24, 2008

Culture Shock Questions

Walking down the street I find it interesting to people watch. That is if I'm not preoccupied with my frozen hands. And I make a note to say hello to almost everyone, after all it is only polite right? But what is most interesting are the reactions. Most often I see a startled reaction, then they reply with "hello". Some just smile and go on their way. Some look as if they're about to jump out of their skin because "OH MY WORD! I didn't know someone from that generation could say something without including the word "like"" And other's just grunt.

But in this country, some things are confusing. Now, maybe I'm still going through culture shock, but I'm still confused about certain things; maybe you can help me out.

An old lady is walking across the street. Do you help her, pass and say hi? Or run because you will be accused as a thief if you try and help her?
Are stop lights really to be stopped at? Or just there to look good?
Is it just me, or are infomercial salesmen really bad actors?
How can people in this country care so much about their pets but not about their neighbours?
How do you politely beg for a job?
How do you keep from eating an entire bag of M'n'Ms?

If you hold the answers to any of these incredibly difficult questions, please, leave a comment :P

3 comments:

K said...

*cuogh* *answers the questions*

If the old lady looked like she needed help, I would help her. ;)

Some people think that the lights are just for pretty, BUT you really are supposed to stop at them. XD I will anyways... haha

Infomercial salesmen are REALLY BAD actors. u_u

I have no idea. :P Its stinkeths.

By sounding as nice and needy as possible without sounding winy. u_u ;D really, idk. XD

put the clip on the top and put them back in the pantry, deara. u_u ;D

yahweh.chaser said...

glad you enjoyed the little grad clip. gosh, its not like i can come to all of your guys' graduation parties! :((

how to keep from eating a whole bag of m-n-ms.... ? hahah.. i'm not sure i've ever had the oppurtunity or privilege to be tempted to do so :P my siblings and parents see to that!!!

happy belated birthday btw...
YAY you're 18 :D

Anonymous said...

I can empathize with the first culture shock. Of course, in the south, we're much more accustomed to actually speaking people within a 5 foot radius of ourselves. Still, people in the big metropolis of Nashville look at you weird if you even so much as smile and greet them. *sigh* We're not in Togo anymore...or Cote d'Ivoire, for that matter.

The answers to other questions:
#1: Help the old lady...they tend to be more understanding of our "cultural blundering"...just beware of ones with bricks in their purse.

#2: While stop lights out here are actually just ways to save on Christmas decore, I hear they have an odd tradition in the West of actually obeying them. Hmm...

#3: Any kid from your Togolese orphanage could act better than those salesmen.

#4: My theory is that people are zombified by their cats and toy dogs, and thus have no choice... otherwise, it's very hard to explain

#5: On your knees...just try to refrain from kissing their feet.

#6: Send them to me. :P