Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Three Gifts in One

Three Gifts in One
December 24, 2008

The light turned red
And the crosswalk flickered on
The crowd moved together
Every person a bit withdrawn
Twas Christmas Eve
And the streets were packed
Each person had a task
No time to get sidetracked
For Christmas was around the corner
Every child must have a gift
So with this set mindset
I rushed off into ‘Toy Shift’
Most toys were off the shelves
Frantic fathers over-paying
But I found the doll I needed
An angel bent and praying
The cashier, of course, took forever
And the line-up never ended
So I took my place in the back
Waiting unattended
At long last I was out the door
Only to find a traffic jam
The sidewalks were overcrowded
Narrow store doors creating a dam
I ducked into a side alley
Glad to get out of there
I jumped as an old man chuckled
Obviously unaware
“A little stuffy I see”
He said with an aged lopsided grin
“A little much for comfort”
I replied, pointing with my chin
“You’re done yer Christmas shopping?”
He asked, his grey beard all tied in knots
He reminded me of a Mexican Santa Clause
His eyes slightly open like slots
“Uh yes, just finished,
Bought this angel for my girl,
She’s five years old and counting,
Her name’s Elizabeth Pearl.”
“Well, well,” Said Mexican Santa
“Looks like she’s got a mighty fine doll,
I hope she’s happy with her present,
And Merry Christmas to ya’ll.”
With that he turned and started away
His brown coat covering his frame
A trucker’s hat with “Putman’s” on it
Was all that he had to claim
I shuffled my feet
Uncomfortable with the parting
Glancing downwards, I saw a small item
And called out to him departing
In my hand I held a small manger
Made of finely crafted wood
Each tiny board held in place
With four small legs upon which it stood
Within the manger
Was a bed of hay
Soft to the touch
In which a baby lay
I asked the stranger,
“Did you make this?”
He nodded his head and smiled
“For my own little prince.”
“The craftsmanship is divine!”
I exclaimed admiring his work
“Not so much as the babe.”
He said with a smirk
“Why don’t you take that home?
Perhaps a reminder for the reason.”
“I couldn’t, it’s yours!”
“Ah yes, but it is the giving season.”
For a second time he walked away
Leaving again some shuffling feet
I glanced down at the small baby
So innocent, so sweet
As I merged onto the sidewalk
I held three gifts in my hands
For while entered a side alley with one,
An angel, a child, and humility
Were now blessing this man.

No comments: