Recently I have had many blog-worthy thoughts on my mind, but never find the time to write them down. Some pass and some stay, so this time I'm going to write this thought down before I lose it.
How much alike is our Christian Life and football? Lost you already? No worries, I'll explain. There is a team, and each member relies on the other for help and support. But have you ever noticed that many football teams pray before going on the field (Hollywood is my source on this one; yes, be glad I've never been in a guy locker room before a football game!) but never after? "Lord, let us win" might the prayer, or perhaps the more heavenly-correct "Lord, let us try our best". The players step out on the field and begin to play, never expecting on their prayer to actually have an impact or result. Though when it does, they celebrate. Not wrong, unless you forget to thank the One from which you asked. Even a small child knows it is wrong to receive a gift that he/she asked for, sometimes even begged for (attempted to bribe for? hehe) and then never thank the giver. How child-like then is our faith when we ask, receive and never thank? Why do we do that? Perhaps we subconsciously believe that we earned the gift ourselves, and have no need to thank. Maybe the prayer was forgotten and the gift came unexpectedly and unnoticed.
When was the last time you prayed, "Lord take this pain away!" but never said "Lord, thank you for the gift of life!" "Lord, I can't stand it anymore!" "Lord, thank you for the support of friends that allow me to stand". "This is to much for me." And only embrace the Hand for the time that you need it, not the time He desires it. Oh, only a patient God like ours would stretch out a Hand that we are only temporarily willing to clasp.
Will you pray after the game?
1 comment:
Hey Beth,
Funny that I should be reading this as I sit here in Lome and you're in Kara at this very moment writing your math final. I have prayed and prayed and prayed for you today and my heart continues in prayer at this very moment. And yes, when you text me and tell me you have finished the exam, I will pray and thank God that he carried you through no matter what the result of the exam will be. I know that He is your maker and He is the One that is helping you right now. For that I am thankful! Love you dear! Mom
Post a Comment