Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Captivating

She stood at the railing looking over the edge. Elbows rested on the graffiti-writ steel rail. She had a love-hate relationship with people watching. Although it gave her a sense of peace, knowing that others were around, it left her with hatred for the lives that appeared so perfect. Closing her eyes for a brief second, she heaved a sigh and pushed back from the rail, purse and bag in hand she walked down the stairs. She proceeded towards the door, not looking anywhere but where she was headed. Outside the automatic doors stood a man in his 50's holding small pieces of paper. He handed her one as she walked past, smiling and telling her, "Your beautiful". Creep, she thought. Yet stuffed the paper in her purse.

It only took her ten minutes to walk home, two steps per sidewalk slab, constantly crushing a dead leaf in her hand, half smiling, half smirking at young couples on evening walks. Despite her seemingly apathetic mood, she loved fall, pure beauty even amongst the dying.

The stairs up to her room were taken two at a time, and bags thrown unto her bed. Opening her bag she tried on her dress. Turning to face the mirror on the opposite wall, she grimaced as what at the store seemed looked like a good buy, now turned her face sour. What was wrong with her? She hated mirrors. She hated being normal. She had passed the point of sobbing in self-pity a long time ago, apathy now consumed her. She peered further into the mirror one last time, hoping to change what stood before her. Flopping on her bed she reached to retrieve some gum from her purse, the paper the 'creep' had given to her fell onto the floor. Curious, she reached down and opened it.

"Sweetheart, hear me out. I know you haven't wanted to be on speaking terms with me recently, but please hear what I have to say. I've been thinking of you constantly, and think you need to hear this. I wrote a poem about you. Please read it, I mean every word."

Below was a poem with the title "Captivating" written neatly in black cursive handwriting. And this is what it said.

Captivating

You may be surprised
My Daughter
To hear this from me,
For what I intentioned you to know,
Has to now be expressed because of sin.
I am enthralled by your beauty (Psalm 45:11)
The syllables of your name murmur like a meadow brook.
No wonder everyone loves to say your name! (Song of Solomon 1:3)
Before you knew me,
I'm named you, and declared you were a beauty, (2 Samuel 14:25)
A rare gemstone.
Your smile brings joy,
A giggle brings down the guarded spirit.
I have adorned you with grace,
Your veiled cheeks are soft and radiant (Song of Solomon 6:4)
Quintessentially feminine!
Your beauty, within and without, is absolute (Song of Solomon 7:1)
You are absolutely stunning. (Ezekiel 16:8)
For you I chose this divine characteristic
For as I AM adorned in beauty,
So are you.



Women, I want to challenge you. Did any of you read this story and imagine yourself? Or did you imagine another woman? Read it again, except this time, put your face in her place. Even though we are told that it doesn't matter if we are beautiful externally, internally is all that matters, I truly, 100% believe that if you are reading this, you are beautiful. Externally. God longs to look at you. We tear ourselves apart, both inside and out because we hate how we look. But the truth of the matter is, we can't change how we look. HE made us that way, and He delights in us that way.
You are quintessentially feminine. And He finds you captivating!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Solid. Thanks for reminding the women of God out there that not all us guys care about how you look.