Thursday, January 8, 2009

Eventful day

Short story - I felt sick, was convinced to go to the hospital, got my appendix removed and am now back at dorms (all within 24 hours...well, except for the sick part ;))

Longer story - I started feeling sick Tuesday night...just pressure on in between my ribs, but not nauseous. I only ate a banana for breakfast, and went to classes all day, though by the end I was laying down on the group between breaks in the class. Tuesday night I didn't sleep very well, was awake just as much as I was asleep and had been throwing up for a couple hours, not able to keep any liquid down. I skipped class in the morning, still thinking it was just the flu and would just be a matter of time before it would go away. But the more I rested the worst I felt, and even after throwing up I would feel awful (besides that fact that I couldn't hold anything down). Around noon Rachael came back and suggested going to see a doctor. I told her I was ok and that maybe if I was still feeling lousey the next day I would go. About an hour later I had to run to the bathroom, which Rachael found as a good excuse to make me go (as I was up already :P). So with some help from people I was able to find a ride to the hospital. So got there, was admitted shortly after (contrary to everything I have heard about that hospital, I for one, loved being there lol) and they assessed me, and then took some blood (I asked and they were gracious enough to give me the numbing cream...needles are not my thing). Doc comes back an hour later (I've just been snoozing on a cot thingy back in the ER curtain area this whole time..just laying and listening, got to know the nurses quite well without ever even seeing their faces! lol) and tells me that my white blood count is kinda high, as he was wishing to rule out apendicitis but now couldn't do that. He said he wants to wait and get another doctors opinion by he won't be availabe till 6, I say I'll be fine and just wait here (it was about 4 at this point). I slowly (believe me...it was slow lol) make my way out to the nurses station and ask if there is any way I could call my mum...even though it would be long distance. The head nurse was incredibly kind and set up a phone for me in the little curtain area and I was able to call mum and lisa and let them know what was up. Lisa came soon after and mum (not even knowing if it was anything more than the flu!) started driving soon after as well. Mum arrived just a couple minutes after the 2nd docter assessed me and said it was appenditis and that we would go ahead with surgery shortly. Well...much to my dissapointment that shortly ended up being like 2 hours, but not much you can do when you are short staffed and have to wait for me to be fully hydrated. So around 8:15 I rolled into the OR, very much in pain by that point and just ready to have the stinkin thing removed, and they put me under (ahhh, blissful sleep). I woke up about 30 minutes later feeling SO much better with my mum over top of me and finally able to have food/drink again. So I chilled with the morphine...ate a little here a little there...went on a couple walks in the morning and then when the Doc said I was all good, we left (they kinda needed the bed and kicked us out haha). So, from 2pm on Wednesday afternoon to 1230pm today (thursday) I have been to the hospital, had an operation, been on high drugs, been back to dorms, visited some classmates in class (just to show my face again) and am now chilling on my bed. Woohoo...eventful 24 hours. But one reallllllly cool thing was that both of my doctors in the OR were or are missionaries in West Africa, and they prayed over me before they started the surgery. Not a better way to be put to sleep than with the prayers of a healer.

Thank you all for all of your prayers. I will probably just hang out in my room today but go to classes tomorrow (sitting doesn't take much effort, hehe) and then next week Friday we are travelling down to Montana! Although I will have to take it slow, I should be able to participate in everything to some extent. And in six weeks, Lord Willing, I will be fully healed :)

Oh, p.s., the Doctors said about 5 more hours and my appendix's would have ruptured...which would have meant tons of antibiotics, weeks in the hospital and no Montana! Thank goodness for forceful friends!

2 comments:

New Creation said...

Beth, I am glad that you made it to the hospital in time! Wow, what a story. I am praying for your healing .

K said...

numbing cream?! whaaaat? How come they never offer this to me when I get blood taken? *sniff* tisn't fair.. lol ;)
But hey, glad to read the post/know what happened.. aiy aiy..the very idea of a hospital with IV and surgery, etc, makes me.. feel... swishish. *uses the english language quite liberally and makes up her own words* haha annnyways... I pray your completely healed very soon!! :)