Monday, September 17, 2007

Flooding

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6994995.stm#anchor

I didn't know that we were on international news, but yes, the rains have been bad. We are not in a flooded zone though the rains are getting bad enough to destroy the crops for the whole season. Our well is up to ground level (which I have never seen before) and the Kara river is higher than I've ever seen. Our co-workers (Togolese) say that this is the most rain they've had in 45 years! As far as I know, the rains have been the worst north of here. Although the rains themselves are not dangerous, the greatest danger is houses collapsing on the people. When it rains to much the mud softens and with a little push can crumble on top of a whole family. I believe the death toll is at 20 so far. The starting of school has been put off a month (it will start mid/late October, they will have had 5 months vacation, but not good because they won't extend the finish date and therefore they will have to do 8 months of work in 7) because several bridges (the website says 100, but I don't think its that high) have been washed out and the people can't get the school supplies to the schools.  

It is kind of funny, because churches and people were praying so hard for rain in May/June (the beginning of rainy season, and it hadn't come yet) and now its coming so hard that they're praying for it to stop...hmmm...

But pray for these people, if their crops aren't good, it ruins all chances of a good finical year.

 

No comments: