Thursday, October 8, 2009

Simply Flint

Yesterday I visited a place like never before. It was after a semi-exhaustful day, taught until 2, did Biology until 3 then left and did VBS for another 2 hours. Near the end, the people I was with were heading to the nearby slums, and I was invited to go along. I was going to take my camera and take pictures but I find that contrary to the popular belief, verbal description paints a better picture than a visual one (at least in some cases…like this one).

 

We walked up the road, our pale skin a sharp contrast in the dimming light of the night. Houses lined the street and several small open shops (like kiosks) were closing down for the night. There were few street lights, but kids running up and down the road. Several small 2 year olds raced up the street, almost falling backwards by the weight of their proportionally large backpacks (which covered from their necks to their knees). We were led into a small opening at the side of the road, about the size of a sidewalk. Not 5 feet into the opening was the first door on the left. An old lady sat outside with two small kids on either side, dressed in simple dirty clothes. She smiled as we walked passed and greeted us in their local language. The “street” between houses was not more than 3 feet across, and doors were plastered randomly on either side of the walls. There were no windows, and few lights. The ground was uneven, and often had to steady oneself on the walls to keep from falling. The roofs slanted down, and the tips were not 6 feet from the ground. There was no drainage, no heating, no AC, no bathroom, very few houses (they were all one room) had a bed and some only had a solitary candle burning. They were hot, and crowded and smelt. The only comparison I can have in Western Examples is living in your closet or bathroom with all of your children, your food, all of your possessions, your kitchen and living room. Never have I been humbled. What could I do? It is impossible for me to help all 5000+ people in that slum. Already the people we are working with are giving so much of their time, energy, money, space and hearts to these people, so what can I do?

 

We are currently helping out with a VBS with 200 of the slum kids, and even though nothing has changed for them, my perspective of their situation has changed drastically. If I can help them, if only for 30 minutes forget the situation they are forced to live in, and give them hope and perhaps even some “fun”, then maybe I am doing exactly what I am supposed too. Often we have people come to a third world country and try to change everything, have everyone do stuff their way, or the so called “right way”. I don’t want that, as a matter of a fact I hate that. I can’t change anyone, nor do I desire too. What would I be changing them to be like? Another sinful, flawed and prideful human being. If they can see a little bit of the light, perhaps Dad can use that to change them all, not by me, but through me. He’s the spark that starts the fire, I’m just the flint.

1 comment:

Lisa Ens said...

Amen and amen! Dad is doing awesome things in you and through you my dear sister. I'm thrilled that you're allowing us to come along for the ride. Love you and yarping for you!